Yikes.... PhD advice needed

Rachelle Bienstock biensto1 at niehs.nih.gov
Fri Aug 4 09:30:21 EST 2000

It depends on what your goals are personally and professionally.  If you
really want to be a professor at a major research University or a P.I. at
a major research lab., like NIH, then you absolutely need to have a PhD.
However, there is a definite age bias in academia- witness all the grants
and awards given to "young" investigators younger than 35, ie.."Presidential
Young Investigator".
Also, I have heard from many people on search committees that age is
definitely a factor in selecting "junior" candidates..."We look at how many
productive years a candidate has before they retire" someone on a search
committee
at a major research university said to me.  Looking at candidates recently
hired
in two prestigious research universities near me, in fields close to your
interest (i.e.
Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biophysics),  I can tell you that they were all in
their late 20s....
Also, if you have a significant other, children, or other family (i.e. older
infirm parents)
with whom you want to spend time ( or even like to spend lots of time on
hobbies,sports
and outside interests), Graduate School is not the optimum situation to be
in.
The expectation at major research universities is that you work day and
night and
that your sole dedication is to your thesis research.

While industry requests and requires a PhD for certain research jobs, you
will
frequently see that years of experience are substituted for a PhD...You will
see
ads like PhD or MS + x years of experience or BS +X years of experience,
so it is very possible to have an interesting rewarding research position in
industry
without a PhD as long as you possess the needed skills to do the job.

As a side note, there is now tremendous demand for people with
biology/chemistry
backgrounds and computer and computational skills, so if you have an
interest in
this direction, you might be better served by  getting a MS in computer
science
or bioinformatics.  The areas of high throughtput analysis, combinatorial
chemistry,
LIMS (lab. information management systems), proteomics, genomics, molecular
modeling
and microarray analysis and bioinformatics are all very "hot " areas with
many
interesting, high paying positions available.