Hidden cost of academe?

Adam Fagen,McKay 321, afagen at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Aug 11 06:53:33 EST 2000

cjfuller at mindspring.com (C. J. Fuller) writes:

>In article <399041C5.7B7644AE at hotmail.com>, notmyaddress at hotmail.com (SLF)
>>Re the current discussion, check out the following article
>>on the Chronicle of Higher Education career site.
>Susan-I don't know where "Barney Rogers" went to grad school, but grad
>student groups have been lobbying for higher stipends for years,
>especially those in the humanities.  Several universities (Yale, Berkeley)
>have their TA's unionized.

Sort of.  The Yale GESO is not recognized by the University as a
collective bargaining unit.  And union efforts have met with similar
reactions most everywhere they have been posed.  There all too often seems
to be a perception on the part of department and institutions that
graduate students are privileged to be there and that any teaching is part
of an apprenticeship.
Adam Fagen                   \\                   afagen at fas.harvard.edu
Harvard University GSAS      //      http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~afagen/