COSEPUP Briefing

Paul S. Brookes. brookes at uab.edu
Wed Aug 16 01:43:39 EST 2000

Given all the recent chatter about post-doc' working conditions here, I
thought I'd forward this e-mail from our post-doc' officer at UAB.....

>Dear Postdoctoral Scholars,
>The following is an announcement from The Committee on Science, Engineering,
>and Public Policy (COSEPUP) regarding their guide to be released on Sept.
>11.  Dr. Benveniste would like to encourage you to listen to the briefing or
>to read the guide on their website.
>
>Sharon Johnston
>Office of Postdoctoral Education
>
>Enhancing the Postdoctoral Experience for Scientists and Engineers
>
>                               The National Academies
>                              Cecil and Ida Green Building
>                               2001 Wisconsin Ave., N.W.
>                         Monday, Sept. 11 at 10 am (EASTERN)
>                                       Room 104
>
>                                 AND VIA LIVE WEBCAST
>
>       To  carry  out  their  research  endeavors,  U.S.  universities  and
>other
>    research organizations have come to rely more heavily on a growing
>population
>    of postdoctoral scholars working on a full-time, but temporary, basis to
>gain
>    additional  experience  for a professional career.  Employment conditions
>for
>    these  junior researchers vary, and for many postdocs, their experiences
>fall
>    short of expectations.
>
>       The  Committee  on  Science,  Engineering,  and Public Policy
>(COSEPUP)--a
>    joint  committee  of  the  National  Academy of Sciences, National
>Academy of
>    Engineering,   and  Institute  of  Medicine--offers  its  assessment  of
>the
>    postdoctoral  experience  and  provides  principles  and  recommendations
>for
>    enhancing  it.   Its new guide will be released at a one-hour public
>briefing
>    beginning  at 10 a.m. EASTERN on Monday, Sept. 11.  Maxine Singer,
>president,
>    Carnegie  Institution  of  Washington,  Washington,  D.C.  will be on
>hand to
>    discuss  the  report's  findings  and advice.  All are welcome to attend
>this
>    free  event  in  Room  104  of the National Academies Green Building at
>2001
>    Wisconsin Avenue, NW.
>
>       This public briefing will also be available via a LIVE WEBCAST.  We
>would
>    like to especially encourage postdocs, researchers, and administrators
>    throughout the country to listen to the public briefing.  In order to
>listen
>    to the Webcast, you will need to use RealPlayer software, available for
>free
>    at http://www.real.com/player/ <http://www.real.com/player/> . You can
>submit questions to Dr. Singer using
>    an e-mail form at http://national-academies.org
><http://national-academies.org> .
>
>      Anyone  attending  the  briefing  OR participating in the LIVE WEBCAST
>from
> [...]

Dr. Paul S. Brookes.            (brookes at uab.edu)
UAB Department of Pathology,   G004 Volker Hall
1670 University Blvd., Birmingham AL 35294 USA
Tel (001) 205 934 1915     Fax (001) 205 934 1775
http://peir.path.uab.edu/brookes

The quality of e-mails can go down as well as up