mentors

C. J. Fuller cjfuller at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 22 09:25:55 EST 2000

In article <Pine.SOL.4.05.10002211058330.23581-100000 at granby>,
Msxci at nottingham.ac.uk (civersen) wrote:

>I have found women to be the least helpful mentors.  The women I have
>encountered in my struggle for a career seem to be 'out for themselves'
>and see other women as a particular threat to their own advancement.
>Perhaps the reason women don't do as well in climbing the promotion ladder
>is because we don't help each other along - maybe we should start to build
>'an old girls' network'!

I had a wonderful PhD mentor.  Unfortunately, she died a year into my
postdoc, at a time when I was feeling extremely overburdened and could
have used some of her sage advice.  Some of my best female "mentors" are
my contemporaries--friends from grad school, colleagues here, and people
I've met through my research interests.  A few of my male colleagues are
too self-absorbed to give relevant advice.  One in particular has a very
hard time dealing with females--he just doesn't have the right words in
his vocabulary.  Most of his metaphors are military- or sports-related,
and he doesn't have the empathy in certain areas.  (He's in his late 40's
and has never been married.)

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller