MCAT frustration and a job advert.

Paula Jean Schlax pschlax at abacus.bates.edu
Thu Jul 6 02:31:58 EST 2000

The newsgroup appears to have been silenced- Summer must be here.....
I recently started reading a few MCAT biology questions and was appalled
by the quality of some of the questions- It seems to me that for some
students, a good background could be a severe disadvantage.  One
question I saw asked which of the following was the most likely cause of
development of drug resistance in HIV-  and of course the poor fidelty
of RT wasn't even mentioned- all of the possibilities were fairly
unlikely (The correct answer of the list and only feasible one was that
the host polymerase was making errors).  This wasn't an isolated
question.  As a teacher, I am appalled by these questions- they do
require deductive reasoning, but the passages are unrelated and they
don't seem to really draw on reasonable common knowledge... It
frustrated me immensely.

Anyway- Onto another topic- Bates has a position open- the ad is below.
I think its a good job for someone trying to decide if they think they
would like teaching, or working with college students.

Assistant in Instruction
The Department of Chemistry at Bates College has an opening for an
ASSISTANT IN INSTRUCTION (AI). The AI's primary responsibility will
be to direct the department's introductory chemistry laboratory
offerings. This
will include teaching some laboratory sections, preparing materials for
the
laboratories, developing and writing new labs, scheduling experiments,
and
directing the student teaching assistants. A bachelor's degree is
required
(chemistry degree preferred). The position will become available August
1,
2000. This position has been funded for 12 months, with the possibility
it will
become a regular position. Applicants should send a resume, all college
transcripts, a brief statement of teaching philosophy and background,
and the
names of three references to Chair, Department of Chemistry, c/o
Personnel
Office, Bates College 215 College St., Lewiston, ME 04240. The search
committee will begin evaluating applications on July 14, 2000.

Paula