MCAT frustration and a job advert.

C. J. Fuller cjfuller at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 6 12:54:29 EST 2000

In article <39636EA7.E9B84C01 at abacus.bates.edu>, Paula Jean Schlax
<pschlax at abacus.bates.edu> wrote:

>The newsgroup appears to have been silenced- Summer must be here.....
>I recently started reading a few MCAT biology questions and was appalled
>by the quality of some of the questions- It seems to me that for some
>students, a good background could be a severe disadvantage.  One
>question I saw asked which of the following was the most likely cause of
>development of drug resistance in HIV-  and of course the poor fidelty
>of RT wasn't even mentioned- all of the possibilities were fairly
>unlikely (The correct answer of the list and only feasible one was that
>the host polymerase was making errors).  This wasn't an isolated
>question.  As a teacher, I am appalled by these questions- they do
>require deductive reasoning, but the passages are unrelated and they
>don't seem to really draw on reasonable common knowledge... It
>frustrated me immensely.

I have a hard time with standardized tests to begin with.  Students get so
attuned to answering multiple guess questions that they land in our upper
level classes and flounder on essay exams.  Requiring the basic skills
tests in the lower grades, I fear, is going to exacerbate the problem down
the road.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller