Equity v. parity

C. J. Fuller cjfuller at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 26 09:19:10 EST 2000

In article <200007252215.RAA20550 at mail.tamu.edu>, "Julia Frugoli"
<jfrugoli at bio.tamu.edu> wrote:

snipped>
>I heard Deborah Delmar speak at the ASPP (Plant Physiologists) meeting last
>week.  She suggests that women are voting with their feet because of the
>dysfunctional nature of academic careers (the ones we're trying to gain
>equity in).  Women have made up almost half the doctorates in the life
>sciences for close to 20 years now-with no effect on the levels above in
>either parity or equity. Because women do not receive equity, they leave
>sooner than men-they receive even fewer rewards. Men have begun to vote with
>their feet too, but because they are in the majority, it will be a while
>before the effect of their disenchantment shows.

Our department is now going through a search for a "nutrient and gene
expression" assistant professor.  All four of the candidates who have/will
interview are males.  At least two of them have minimal teaching
experience.  Given that we have a strong teaching expectation here, does
this mean that the rest of us (mostly female) will have to pick up the
slack at the expense of our research programs?

(more snipping)
Some of the talk I've heard lately in meetings brings to
>mind the real estate agent who showed me around the town during a recent job
>interview.  She was talking about the new female provost and she said "I'm
>not a feminist, but..." -going on to say how glad she was this woman had the
>position she did.  Since when is feminism a dirty word?

It's been a dirty word in the real world for at least 25 years, ever since
the backlash from people like Phyllis Schlafly over the Equal Rights
Amendment.  Remember all of the red herrings like unisex bathrooms?  It
seems to me that many of these people who use the "I'm not a feminist,
but..." line got where they did on the backs of feminists who fought for
equal pay and expanded opportunities, but don't want to acknowledge it.
For example, how many female realtors were there in the 70's?  Very few,
but now they dominate the residential business.

Is Dr. Delmar's article in C&E News available online somewhere?  It'd be a
good read.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller