Equity v. parity

Rachelle Bienstock biensto1 at niehs.nih.gov
Thu Jul 27 13:17:33 EST 2000

I think that industry has done a far better job at providing women with
"equity".
That is because companies have policies which are followed and have actively

supported "diversity", either on their own or due to Federal legislation.
In the
academic setting, so much is under the individual
control of department chairs and in particular labs under the rule of the
P.I.
For example, companies will have a uniform maternity leave policy in place,
and if they have more than 50 employees must at least follow the Family and
Medical
Leave Act.  As well as a Human Resources department to ensure you get
what you are entitled.  However, if you are a postdoc or a research
assistant
professor at a university what kind of uniform maternity leave policy is in
place?
What kind of recourse or resources do you have available?

Also, advancing in industry is much more dependent on what you produce
and not "face time".  You can work five days a week, 8 hours a day and as
long as you demonstrate that you produce for the company this is what
counts.  So much in academia is just showing that you were in the lab on
the weekend or at 5 am even if it was hanging around the coffee machine
eating donuts!  Or being in the "in crowd", knowing the "big name" people,
being invited to speak at conferences etc....Even if you give the same talk
everywhere you speak!  I think women are self-selecting out of academia
for two reasons, one because so much is based on the networking and
knowing people in academia and women aren't admitted into these little
close knit networks as easily, and two, because most women in science
don't have someone else helping them and supporting them the way most men
do.
Even if unmarried, a woman are often the caretaker of an elderly parent or
relative;
if they have a "significant other" , this person is usually less
understanding
of the afterhours commitments of academia.  If they are married, the demands

of keeping up a household, children and a spouse often make the travel
and additional demands which being successful in an academic career require
difficult.