equity v. parity:clarification

Caroline Szymeczek-Seay css at med.unc.edu
Fri Jul 28 14:54:21 EST 2000

Hi,
I need to correct my above posting...  I totally misunderstood Dr.
Schlax' sentence "Another point- the median salary for a chem PhD last
fall just starting out in a real job was $61,000". By real job, she
meant "work beyond grad school and post-doc."  I didn't catch this, and
that was why I posted what I did.

On a personal note, I'm avidly interested in all posts about jobs/real
jobs/permanent jobs because all my perceptions of these topics has been
changing so dramatically over the past few years.  I'm currently still
hanging on in the research world by stringing together a series of
fixed-term contracts (which I'm trying to convince myself *is* a real
job) and also working to find my way into another type of real job.  I'm
fighting my own preconceived notions about status, intellectual worth
and challenge, and salary needs...and i'm also fighting similar yet
bigger and more entrenched preconceived notions held by my university
colleagues.  This, then, is why I was admittedly oversensitized.  Please
forgive.

caroline