Equity v. parity

giner giner at my-deja.com
Mon Jul 31 15:09:55 EST 2000

In article <4.3.1.2.20000728124431.00b0de30 at norm.dpo.uab.edu>,
  brookes at uab.edu ("Paul S. Brookes.") wrote:
>There is no formal structure for post-docs in terms
>of both expected hours and healthcare provision, holiday allowance
>e.t.c, so any PI who tries to impose a regime is in a losing battle from >the start.  Most people are savvy anough to realize when they're in with >a bad PI who is making their life hell and do something about it - like >get a different PI or formally complain to the head of department, or
>just set your own timetable and see what happens.

This has not been true in my experience. How do you get a different PI
when your funding is tied to the bad PI? And I have yet to see a
department head who could give a damn about a PI who was making life
miserable for a post-doc. In my more cynical moments I honestly believe
the only people who care about the well-being of a postdoc is the
postdoc.

>Few PI's can think of an adequate
> response to "so what if I only work a 50hr week, I've had X papers
> published this year".

I don't know any post-doc, myself included back when I was one, who would
admit to working a 50 hour week! But that is probably true.

giner

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.