NY Times Magazine

bmartin at utmem.edu bmartin at utmem.edu
Tue Jun 6 01:42:47 EST 2000

In article <393ACD56.920FD153 at hotmail.com>, notmyaddress at hotmail.com
(SLF) wrote:

> talent, like these kids, there won't be  many discoveries from
> curiosity-driven research  that cross over in years to come to
> support the next generation of  high-tech and the next new economy.

I believe there is a sense that curiousity-driven research is not
respected as it used to be.  If the research is not more targeted at a
problem, such as a particular disease, then it is not worth doing.
This message is viewed as coming from funding agencies, school
administrators, and other significant influences.

B. Martin