<no subject>

Paul S. Brookes. brookes at uab.edu
Wed Jun 7 11:47:52 EST 2000

Maybe my articulation was not quite clear.    The point I said would be
interesting is if the ratio of black women:back men's salaries is the same
as the ratio of white women:white men's salaries, i.e. is the balance more
or less emphasized within any particular racial group?

WRT images in the media, I'm not sure anyone beyond the age of about 15
(i.e. when you're deciding what to do in life) really pays much attention
to role models they see on TV and in the movies.  Sure, all boys want to be
fighter pilots at a certain age, and infact I knew from a very early age
(like 8-10) that I wanted to be a scientist.  Surprisingly, nothing I saw
on TV between then and when I made career choices at school changed this
decision.

In fact, I'd even go so far as to say we don't want to give kids a false
impression that science is a glamorous career.  We already have problems
with people leaving the profession dis-enamoured.  At least a few such
departures could have been avoided if these people were told the truth from
the start.  At least that way we only spend precious training funds on
those who are serious about it, rather than providing a "clearing house"
for schools throwing out delinquents who only end up doing a degree to keep
themselves occupied until something better comes along.

Dr. Paul S. Brookes.            (brookes at uab.edu)
UAB Department of Pathology,   G004 Volker Hall
1670 University Blvd., Birmingham AL 35294 USA
Tel (001) 205 934 1915     Fax (001) 205 934 1775
http://peir.path.uab.edu/brookes

The quality of e-mails can go down as well as up