Underpaid?

SLF notmyaddress at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 7 11:48:00 EST 2000

> From: Paul S. Brookes. (brookes at uab.edu)
>

> I wish I had a dollar for the number of times I've heard the "if I wasn't
> in academia I could be earning twice as much for doing the same thing"
> argument.

That actually wasn't the argument I was making.  Yes, academics earn less, adn they put up with it for other reasons.    But my point is that women are paid worse
than men.  Every university study of the status of women on the faculty that I have read, has found this.  If women are going to earn less anyway, perhaps it's not
surprising that they stay away from a profession that already has a very low baseline.

-susan
:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;
It's an anti-spam.  Use the one below.
:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;