3 jobs at Univ. of Tennessee

Chris Boake cboake at utk.edu
Wed Jun 14 02:27:22 EST 2000

Below, I am posting an advertisement for faculty jobs in the general
area of ecology and evolution.  Our department is the strongest science
department on our campus and it is known for the conviviality of its
faculty. We make a conscious effort to get along with each other and to
find ways to improve the department. This has not been done at the
expense of individual careers.

The department provides an extremely supportive environment, unlike some
that I have seen described in this newsgroup. We have 3 women faculty,
or just over 10%, which is not great but not unusual. All three of us
are full professors and were promoted rapidly to that rank. In this
department achievement is recognized regardless of sex.

Knoxville is a nice place to live. Quite a few faculty have turned down
opportunities to leave for better-known schools because of the quality
of life here. The reason that we have 3 positions open at once is that
we have one retirement and two faculty who are leaving for personal
reasons. I particularly want to encourage qualified women to apply. Our
department has a lot to offer and provides a positive environment.

If anyone wishes to ask me more about the positions, I have added my
email address. It is easier to reach me by email than by phone.

--Chris Boake

                          Position advertisement

                       Assistant/Associate Professor
                    University of Tennessee, Knoxville

The Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology will fill up to three
positions to start no later than August 1, 2001.  Positions are at the
assistant professor or, in special circumstances, associate professor
level.  Postdoctoral experience or the equivalent is preferred.

Position I.  Computational/theoretical ecology or evolution.  Current
research emphases include complex ecological and evolutionary systems,
problems at large spatial extent, computational phylogenetics, and
individual-based models.  The successful candidate will participate in
courses in mathematical ecology or mathematical evolution and enhance
the current departmental emphases in theoretical ecology and evolution.

Position II. Vertebrate evolution.  The specific research field is open
(e.g., molecular systematics, comparative analyses, phylogeography).
Primary teaching responsibility is a one-semester upper-level course in
comparative vertebrate anatomy.

Position III. Interdisciplinary ecology, evolution, or behavior.
Research interests in conservation biology, ichthyology, and aquatic
communities are particularly attractive, but other applicants are
welcome.  Applicants should have strong interdisciplinary skills and are
encouraged to develop a research plan that includes using available
regional natural resources. Teaching will include an undergraduate
ecology course and a discipline-specific graduate course.

A description of the department can be found at
www.bio.utk.edu/eebwebsi.nsf/

Interested candidates should indicate the position(s) they are applying
for and send a curriculum vitae, representative reprints, a statement of
research goals and teaching experience, and names, addresses, phone
numbers, and e-mail addresses of three references to Dr. Dan Simberloff,
Nancy Gore Hunger Chair of Environmental Studies, Department of Ecology
and Evolutionary Biology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville TN 37996.
Review of applications will begin on September 15, 2000, and will
continue until the positions are filled.  UT Knoxville is an
EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the
provision of its education and employment programs and services.

Christine R. B. Boake
Professor and Associate Head
Dabney 569
The University of Tennessee