Book recommendation

SLF notmyaddress at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 14 02:27:22 EST 2000

Much of our discussion here focuses on our discontent with the
status quo and the system it maintains.  I am reading a book entitled

Disciplined Minds: A Critical Look at Salaried Professionals and the
Soul-Battering System That Shapes Their Lives,
by Jeff Schmidt.

The author's thesis is that graduate and professional schools have as a
primary focus the inculcation of "The System's" values into the students

so that the students can be relied upon to uphold those values
independently,
even when the conflict with the student's own sense of morality.

Thus, the system is essentially conservative,  rewards those
who succeed at its own rules, and opposes those who fight against
them.

As part of a constituency battling for change, we women are obviously
outside
of this sytem, and bound to conflict with it.

Interestingly, the author has a PhD in Physics and was until recently
part of
the staff of the Journal Physics Today.  Recently, they fired
him--coincidence?
Or the system's punishment of one who dares to transgress?

;-)

Anyway, it's an interesting study on the nature of being a professional.

By the way, I also heartily recommend Ms. Mentor's Impeccable Advice for
Women in Academia by Emily Toth.

--
-susan
forsburg at salk.edu