CNN/Dual careers

SLF notmyaddress at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 17 07:23:17 EST 2000

> From: giner (giner at my-deja.com)
> Hi all,
>
> Below is an article from the CNN web site, about the 'trailing spouse'
> syndrome, and how, when kids arrive, the women's career often takes a
> back seat. What do you all think of this? Being childless, and having
> dragged my husband around the country while pursuing my career I really
> don't have any personal insight as to why this occurs.
>
> -giner

<actual article deleted for space>

Anecdotal evidence supporting this study:

 Over the years, I have  seen a number of my male colleagues divorce  their scientist-wives ;  upon their remarriage to a less career-oriented women, children usually follow.  I surmise that the desire for children and its inevitable conflict with wives' careers may have contributed to the divorce.  This has happened enough
times that I wonder if it's a pattern?  I also wonder what happened to the divorced scientist-wives.

Also, I think that many women have an attitude about simply doing what needs doing, even if it requires sacrifice.  The most revealing quote was that of the male author of the study about his own wife's adjusted career ambitions:

>  "All along I thought we had reached these decisions by consensus,"
> Cooke says. "I thought it was something she wanted to do. But about a
> year ago she said, 'Who else is going to be in charge of the
> household? Somebody has to do this.' I never thought there might be
> something better she might want to do."

i wonder how many women saw themselves in that quote?   Although I do wonder at his choice of the word "better" rather than the word "different" ....

most of the women scientists I see who manage to keep a high-profile career going along with motherhood have extremely supportive spouses, and a position with sufficient financial resources to allow hiring nannies, etc.

Looking around me, I see that most women faculty, especially those more junior, are childless.  Most of the men are not.

--
-susan
forsburg at salk.edu

Women in Biology Internet Launch Page