When to use department letterhead?

Sabine Dippel 100.264949 at germanynet.de
Thu May 4 11:21:12 EST 2000

On 4 May 2000 11:17:49 +0100,
 una at mars.its.yale.edu (Una Smith) wrote:

> This isn't very relevant to this newsgroup, but I'm sure I'm not the
> only person who wonders...
>
> When you were a graduate student or a postdoc on the job market, did
> you use the letterhead of your current department in cover letters
> for job applications?  Did your advisor or department encourage this?

Hi,

I never used the department letterhead in such cases. I am applying
for the job not as a member of my department, but as a private
person. However, for job applications in an academic setting,
I listed both my private and my department address on my CV.
I think the CV is the place where it would belong, because it
lists your work experience. The cover letter is rather dedicated
to why you want/are suitable for the new job - which may mean
stating some of your work experience, but more in terms of
skills instead of institutions one has worked for.
But the department address never appeared on the cover letter.
Oh, and I never discussed it with my advisor - I guess he either
wouldn't have cared, or has the same opinion on this as I do.

But then, maybe it's different in the US - I live in Germany.

Regards,
Sabine