When to use department letterhead?

Julia Frugoli jfrugoli at bio.tamu.edu
Thu May 4 18:16:10 EST 2000

>On 4 May 2000 11:17:49 +0100,
> una at mars.its.yale.edu (Una Smith) wrote:
>

>> This isn't very relevant to this newsgroup, but I'm sure I'm not the
>> only person who wonders...
>>
>> When you were a graduate student or a postdoc on the job market, did
>> you use the letterhead of your current department in cover letters
>> for job applications?  Did your advisor or department encourage this?
>
>Hi,
>
>I never used the department letterhead in such cases. I am applying
>for the job not as a member of my department, but as a private
>person. However, for job applications in an academic setting,
>I listed both my private and my department address on my CV.
>I think the CV is the place where it would belong, because it
>lists your work experience. The cover letter is rather dedicated
>to why you want/are suitable for the new job - which may mean
>stating some of your work experience, but more in terms of
>skills instead of institutions one has worked for.
>But the department address never appeared on the cover letter.
>Oh, and I never discussed it with my advisor - I guess he either
>wouldn't have cared, or has the same opinion on this as I do.
>
>But then, maybe it's different in the US - I live in Germany.

I would say it's different in the US-most "how to get an academic job"
books/articles/websites that I've consulted recommend the department
letterhead-it's professional and implies the support of your
advisor/department.  My advisor and department, both as a grad student and a
postdoc, strongly encouraged this, whether it was applying for a job, a
fellowship, or just corresponding with someone in another lab.

Julia Frugoli
Department of Plant Pathology & Microbiology
Texas A&M University
Norman E.Borlaug Center for Southern Crop Improvement
2123 TAMUS
College Station, TX 77843
phone 979-862-3495
FAX 979-862-4790

"Don't assume everything is a nail just because you can use a hammer with
confidence"- Jim Corbett