Choices----- the other side

Chris Odt chriso at dfrc.wisc.edu
Tue May 23 11:43:30 EST 2000

In article <39218403.22B840DC at peconic.net>, sparkz at peconic.net wrote:

Hello.......as a fellow BS scientist, my vote for you is to stay put,
keep your house, keep your life, and maintain the status quo.
There is nothing wrong with that.  I too am a happily employed
"technician", working for the USDA.  I have my own research project,
I am a published author, I manage our annual budget and research and
purchase equipment and supplies as needed, and work with visiting
scientists, grad students and undergrads.  My PI has pushed me through
the federal pay system as far as he is able to.  Yes, if and when
he retires I am in a precarious position.  But, so is he if I choose
to leave!  And I have numerous friends who have been laid off by
private companies! I have been here 11 years.  I left corporate america, where
they were pushing me up the ladder even though I didnt realize it at
the time.  This is way way, better.  Of course my PI left corporate america
for many of the same reasons, so we see eye to eye on many issues.

Life is just fine as a BS Scientist, or Technician, who cares what
our titles are.  I know I could make another $10K - $20K somewhere
els, but then I wouldnt be working 32 hours a week but probably
50 instead, I wouldnt have the opportunity to spend time with my
pre-teen daughter, and I wouldnt have the time for a life, which for me
includes weaving rugs.

Life is good, with out any grad degree.
Chris