stereotypes

SLF notmyaddress at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 3 12:30:27 EST 2000

> And what were the results of the study in which males were/were not
> told they scored better/worse than females?
>
> Is this a response to stereotypes or just a normal response of humans?
>
> B. Martin

I don't think most men would believe it, even if you told them.
First, they usually don't think of things dividing by gender.
Second, they expect to be better than  a mere woman,
while women are conditioned  to think that they  are never
as good as a man and told it  more often than not.  (As well
as warned that she will never be attractive to men if she's
SMARTER than they are).

After all, look at all those male postdocs who complain that
they aren't getting jobs  because "They" are hiring women. The
idea that a woman could actually be better than they are
doesnt even cross their minds--if she published more,
it must be because she got special treatment.   ("They" aren't really
hiring women anyway, or there would be more than 10-20%
women assistant professors around.)

But it's all in how you respond. When I was a college student
(at Berkeley inthe early 80s), the instructor in charge of chemistry
1 lab told us flat out  that the women would
do worse than the men. Ironically, the instructor was herself a
woman.  Her comment made me furious, so  I took considerable
pleasure in beating  all the men in my section to prove her wrong.

--
-susan
forsburg at salk.edu

Women in Biology Internet Launch Page