Effect of stereotypes

bmartin at utmem.edu bmartin at utmem.edu
Fri Nov 3 16:49:18 EST 2000

In article <Pine.OSF.4.21.0011031654010.11940-100000 at ermine.ox.ac.uk>,
Katherine Kaye <katherine.kaye at geography.oxford.ac.uk> wrote:

> B. Martin's response misses the point: yes, humans respond to
> stereotypes. That doesn't mean that the universal response implies that
> the stereotype doesn't exist.

I agree, but the original post cited a study that did not apparentyly
allow for the possibility that there was no gender-specific stereotype
at work.

[Snip]

> The point is that stereotyping is just not new, cuts all ways, and
> underlying it all is not politics but simple morality. Teachers, do as you
> would be done by!

Obviously stereotyping is not new and obviously stereotyping has
negative consequences, but it is also not always the culprit for
gender- or race-related differences observed.

B. Martin