Re. stereotypes, more on

Janet Mertz Mertz at oncology.wisc.edu
Mon Nov 6 13:22:59 EST 2000

>However I suspect that  the negative reinforcement in the arts is
>largely from society-at-large, and that ballet is less "unfriendly"
>as a subculture to its male participants than science is to its female.
>After all, ballet requires male dancers, and except for some recent
>interesting gender-bending interpretations of the classics,
>generally the women dance women's roles and the men dance
>men's.   Whereas many scientists continue to be unwelcoming to
>women.

Ballet may be open to men from their mid-teens onward, but it is not true
for boys. I was rather appalled to learn at an activities fair here in
liberal Madison, WI that there were essentially no boys taking ballet
classes. My own sons refuse to have anything to do with dancing even though
I would love to have our family do folk dancing. Where do the adult male
dancers come from if societal pressures, at least in the US, complete lock
them out of this area as children? There is a new British film about a boy
secretly taking ballet lessons - I have yet to see it.

Janet Mertz