Congrats to one of our own (SLF) - quality & quantity

Laurel F. Appel lappel at mail.wesleyan.edu
Wed Nov 29 15:04:27 EST 2000

Congratulations to Susan Forsburg!  The Netwatch section of last
week's Science (Vol 290, 17 Nov 200 p. 1255) highlighted her Women in
Biology Internet Launch Page, at
http://pingu.salk.edu/~forsburg/bio.html  with "links to scads of
online articles and reports . . ."

Susan:

As a longtime lurker and occasional poster, I've really appreciated
both the WIB Launch Page (to which our Wesleyan Women in Science page
links) and the insightful comments you have contributed to this group.
	Laurel

Back to the previous thread about quality, quantity, mimimal
publishable units, publicons, and how thin you can slice the salami
and still taste any of it:

	There was the suggestion a few years back that each scientist
be allotted a fixed, limited number of publications per lifetime.
That would encourage each to consider carefully what was worth
publishing, and cut down drastically on honorary co-authorship.
However, like campaign finance reform, changes that might adversely
affect those in power tend not to occur very rapidly.

LFA

Laurel F. Appel
108 Hall-Atwater                lappel at wesleyan.edu,
Department of Biology           tel: 860-685-3258
Shanklin & Hall-Atwater Labs    fax: 860-685-2141
Wesleyan University		http://lappel.web.wesleyan.edu/
237 Church Street
Middletown, CT 06459

Faculty Advisor, Wesleyan Women in Science
http://www.wesleyan.edu/wis/
Programs Coordinator, Wesleyan Hughes Program in the Life Sciences,
http://www.wesleyan.edu/hughes

---