query about the newsgroup

patricia bowne pbowne at execpc.com
Mon Oct 16 11:49:35 EST 2000

Geoff Gibbs wrote:

> In article <v0421010cb60d10fa95b8@[130.127.121.71]>,
>         Julia Frugoli <jfrugol at CLEMSON.EDU> writes:
> > At 7:40 PM +0100 10/13/00, Paula Jean Schlax wrote:
> >>Has the newsgroup died?
> >>

> > I've had contact from people who posted things and waited over a
> > week, never to them on the group.  If it's dead (or if this meassage
> > doesn't show up on it) its time to contact the bionet people again.
>
> Until the moderator drew this thread to my attention, I was not aware
> of any problems.
>
> There could be a delay while articles wait to be moderated, but Alan
> is very conscientious at getting the messages through quickly.
>
> If you read the articles on the web, you will find that they are
> updated daily (middle of the night, UK time). News and e-mail
> should go out immediately they are moderated.
>
> If messages are failing to reach the group, do let me know as soon
> as possible, so that I can try and find what has gone wrong.

I tried to post a message three times earlier this year,
and it never got through. I kept reposting it with more urgent
comments to the moderator, and when there was still no response
I gave up on the newsgroup. If this has been happening to
people, it will not only keep their messages from reaching the
group but give them the impression that the group is run by
a hostile and discourteous moderator.

May I suggest that you periodically post a FAQ explaining
how the group is moderated and what kind of reply acknowledging
a posting one should expect?

Pat Bowne