No subject given

Alan Bleasby ableasby at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Mon Oct 16 14:19:04 EST 2000

Julia Fogruli wrote:

> Alan Beasley wrote;
>
>   Job advertisements are
> also generally rejected as they should appear on bionet.jobs.offered.
>
> As a long time member of the list, I was unaware that we were no
> longer "allowing" job advertisements-I know some of the people who
> contacted me did so because they were advertising faculty positions
> and wanted females in the pool, but they never saw the job appear on
> the list.  Since we spend so much time in this newsgroup decrying the
> lack of female faculty memebers, why did "we" make the decision to
> disallow faculty ad postings, and when did "we" make it?

I'm not sure who this "we" is. I am the sole moderator to my knowledge
and the above is my humble opinion. I will not be drawn further on
the subject.

May I take this thread as an opportunity to ask whether the group
wishes to propose another moderator for this list. I have been doing
it as a courtesy but would be delighted to step aside and let someone
whom the group feels more appropriate do so. I have considered
asking this for some time. Any volunteers should not be of a
sensitive disposition, moderation should not unduly favour any
particular worldwide timezone and should be a 7 day per week task.
Trusted stand-ins should be organised during any absence.

That is not a whinge. I moderate many other groups and will continue to
do so. Maybe I should have posted this to bionet.jobs.offered

Alan Bleasby