Job postings on the group

Katherine Kaye katherine.kaye at geography.oxford.ac.uk
Wed Oct 25 11:52:33 EST 2000

On 18 Oct 2000, Paul S. Brookes. wrote:

> I think cross-posting of jobs to this group is fine, provided they appear
> elsewhere, but sole posting here and not anywhere else might be considered
> unfairly favourable to the (primarily female) readership here.  The line
> between affirmative action and positive discrimination is a very fine one.
>
> Regards
> PSB

Rubbish! I am100% in favour of posting job notices on this
group; legitimate jobs will have been advertised as widely in the press as
the institution's legal controls require anyway (e.g., in all the normal
media channels) and this is simply supplementing, rather than replacing,
those channels.

This is NOT a 'discrimination' issue; anyone can read women-in-bio, and if
men choose to self-select out of  the readership, that is their
perogative. It is not an argument for the readership to censor their own
desire to spread news of opportunities to other people. Women are not to
be held responsible for the reading choices made by men.

However, I seem to recall that Paul has had other problems with what he
perceives to be anti-male patterns, so he is entitled to his view....

Dr. Katherine J. Kaye
School of Geography
Oxford OX1 3TB

ubi Deus, ibi pax; ubi caritas, amor.