The editor responds: MIT alumni revisited

Julia Frugoli jfrugol at CLEMSON.EDU
Tue Oct 31 13:13:17 EST 2000

At 2:27 PM +0000 10/31/00, taguebwREMOVE at wrote:
>In article <39FE1B25.794EA15F at>, notmyaddress at (SLF)
> > As you may recall, some time ago I described to you some derogatory
> > remarks about women  in a  recent issue of the MIT alumni association
> > magazine , which occupies a section in a rather good science magazine
> > called TECHNOLOGY REVIEW.  I told you about them, and wrote a letter
> > to the magazine to complain.  The new issue has printed
> > both my letter and the editor's response.  I'm curious what the readers
> > here think of the response.
>A quick response: the editor(s) wimped out. They should have taken
>themselves to task for publishing the remarks and they should have
>addressed other issues raised in your letter.

I agree, and I think the editors were more focused on the idea of an
alumni magazine being "feel good" when they see themselves as somehow
cutting edge journalism.  I think they kind of missed the point.

Julia Frugoli
Asst. Professor
Biological Sciences
Clemson University