Interesting article

bmartin at bmartin at
Fri Sep 1 10:04:14 EST 2000

In article <39AD357F.4A10618 at>, notmyaddress at
(SLF) wrote:

> The Chronicle of higher education ( has a free article
> at
> entitled
> Female Scientists Turn Their Backs on Jobs at Research  Universities:
> Many say liberal-arts colleges provide a better place for women to
> thrive
> I have mixed feelings about this;  i understand why many women make this
> decision,
> but I fear that things will never change and problems will never be
> solved in the
> bigshot places if women simply opt out of them.

Well for one, all of us need to stop thinking of "bigshot" places as
better places.  We may disagree, but I am not convinced that such
places actually turn out better qualified researchers or teachers.
Next time you are on a search committee, push for candidates from a
less known place who has accomplished much with fewer resources.  Often
candidates from "bigshot" places have a better resume ONLY because of
the lab or institution, compared to others who succeed in spite of poor

Once the "bigshot" places no longer can corner the market, the system
will be more open and it will matter less where folks go for positions.

B. Martin