A new thread -- experiences of feminism?

Pamela Norton pamela.norton at mail.tju.edu
Fri Jan 12 15:24:35 EST 2001

In article <3a5df3f9$0$63731$272ea4a1 at news.execpc.com>, patricia bowne
<pbowne at execpc.com> wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> On my sabbatical (gloat) I'm doing a lot of reading in the
> history of the second wave of feminism. When the second wave was
> actually happening, I was busy taking parasitology and
> remember seeing the campus feminists as living in a different
> world -- they thought my experiences were pretty irrelevant,
> as well. It reminded me of my father's joke that by the height
> of the Vietnam war protests in Berkely things got so extreme
> that 'even the chemists' noticed something was going on ...
>
> Anyway, I've begun to wonder about the experiences women studying
> science had with feminism. Did second-wave feminism change your
> view of the world, or did the status associated with doing
> science insulate you as a student from the kinds of issues that
> feminism addressed? At what point did feminism begin to make sense
> to you, or hasn't it yet?
>
> Pat Bowne

Pat,

I'm sorry, but could you enlighten this ignorant scientist as to the
just what constitutes the second wave of feminism? Is the first wave
the early part of the 20th century, the campaign for universal
suffrage, and the second wave the 60s? Is there a third wave? Is the
fact that I even have to ask these questions clear evidence that I'm a
sterotypical scientist, out of touch with the real world? :-) Oh and
BTY, can you tell us a bit more about what you have been reading?

Thanks,

Pam

--
Pamela A. Norton, Ph.D.
Jefferson Center for Biomedical Research
pamela.norton at mail.tju.edu