who are our allies?

patricia bowne pbowne at execpc.com
Fri Jan 26 15:29:01 EST 2001

I just read the book 'Athena Unbound,' about women in
science, and it made two points I hadn't thought much
about. One, which Brian made here already, is that
younger male faculty are also concerned about the
difficulty of balancing family and science. The other
was that the departments in which changes were made to
solve this problem were usually departments in which
a senior male faculty member became convinced that
the changes needed to be made.

This made me wonder whether there are any women-in-science
outreach activities aimed specifically at senior male
faculty. What about, for instance, a group to help the
advisors of female graduate students?

Pat Bowne