who are our allies?

giner giner at my-deja.com
Sat Jan 27 18:59:38 EST 2001

In article <v04210105b69791b41bc5@[130.127.121.124]>,
  Julia Frugoli <jfrugol at CLEMSON.EDU> wrote:
> Most faculty are clueless when it comes to the personal issues their
> students are facing. We are trained to make them good scientists. The
> old school idea is to teach the process of science, and let the
> personal take care of itself.

I think that attitude is due to the idea that the graduate student is
either single and has no personal life (back in the days when a person
could have their degree finished up by their early 20's) or the fact
that the male graduate student had a wife at home taking care off all
the problems. IMHO, of course! But I think if you looked at the
demographics as to the age and gender of graduate students now and 20
years ago, I'll bet it was very different.

> But watching my fellow graduate
> students drop out of science one by one, I realized it was often
> because of situations that could have been avoided through
> compassionate advising (1) the advisor didn't understand that a
> divorce in the middle of graduate school had effects on a students
> work and should be taken into account (2 friends here) (2) the
> advisor/program frowned on having children mid degree and made life
> difficult, or at the very least commented constantly on the
> questionable devotion to science of the parent (4 friends here, one
> male) (3) family matters aren't given equal weight with science
> matters (see below).

I agree, I've witnessed the same situations, with minor variations. I'm
sorry you had to deal with a crappy situation with your daughter.

> world.  Experiences like the one above taught me how to "produce" no
> matter what my personal state.  this is good  for my science and my
> students, but probably not for me as a person.  And I still think
> it's the hard cruel world of science that needs to change, not the
> people who have a life.

I don't think being able to "produce" no matter what is good for
science at all. I think the science suffers (I'm speaking in the
general sense here, no offense intended!). And I think the science
suffers especially when bright talented people opt for other careers
because of it. We are not necessarily selecting the best and the
brightest, but rather the most durable. (Again, no offense
intended.)

> Can you tell I should be writing something else-I'm
> procrastinating....

LOL, have you gotten to reorganizing your filing system yet? That's one
of my favorite procrastination methods....

-gina

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/