who posts to this NG and why

Sabine Dippel s.dippel at germanynet.de
Tue Jan 30 14:51:17 EST 2001

Hi,

sorry about the non-existent threading for this post - which already points to the
reason why I have posted extremely seldom here in the last few years. Ever since
I started working in industry, I haven't had a really convenient access to the news
in general (my private provider does not provide access to the bionet newsgroups),
so I essentially read this group, but hardly ever post, because I don't like using
the web/e-mail interface for that.
But I'm still there, and reading with the same interest as ever (and yes, I remember
Mr. Chen, I've been here long enough for that).
That said, I probably should introduce me to the people who don't know me. I am
a physicist, and found this group when I was looking for a "women-in-physics"
newsgroup when I started working on my PhD. I didn't find one (there are a number
of mailing lists, but none of them as good as this group), but I found "women-in-bio".
I even met another german physicist through this group who ended up here the
same way as I did (Sylvia, are you still around?).
Even though the group does have a certain focus on the US system, and things are
somewhat different in physics than in biology (for me the typical situation always
has been to be the only woman in the lab except for the secretary), I have found
lots of interesting discussions here, and even after moving to industrial research
three years ago, still find many interesting topics. True, things have been slack at
some times since the group switched to moderation (no offense meant to the
moderators, it simply does make a difference if messages appear right away or
some hours later, because discussions get dragged out that way), but as we see
now, things can get moving again with some good threads.
Well, I am afraid I have nothing to contribute myself to the present threads, just
wanted to say I'm still around, still happy with my decision to leave academic
research, and keep on reading.

Sabine

---