SLF notmyaddress at
Mon Jun 11 01:38:59 EST 2001

Sarah Pallas wrote:

> After a long absence from this list, I now want to report on my
> recent success in gaining tenure and acknowledge the help I've
> received from my spouse and many mentors, most of them female, some
> from this list. I've survived some extreme difficulties with shall
> we say less than supportive male mentors, I've parented two children
> now ages 3 and 7, made it through a horrible funding climate, and a
> heavy teaching load. Now, in addition to granting me tenure, my
> University nominated me for an Outstanding Faculty Achievement Award.
> This post is not to look for kudos but to provide encouragement.
> Although I certainly work hard, I'm not any more brilliant than any
> of you, and I've had my share of bad luck. That means that you too
> can balance work and family commitments in a satisfactory way and
> maintain a viable academic career! Hang in there!

And for everyone else--
No one is going to hand it to you, but you can make it happen.
And the more of us there are, the better for all.

Use the one below, replacing AT with @
(this inconvenience is for spam control)
S L Forsburg, PhD  Associate Professor
Molecular Biology and Virology Lab
The Salk Institute, La Jolla CA

Women in Biology Internet Launch Page