applying for a PhD

Karin Lagesen karin+news at
Fri Jun 29 01:50:39 EST 2001

I have been reading (lurking actually) in this ng for some time,
and I've found many interesting discussions here. I am myself
stuck in one of those situations that somehow only women seem
to get themselves into. I am currently duing my master's at a
university here in Norway. I'll hopefully be done around
Christmas time, and I am really tempted to apply for entrance
in this Computational Biology PhD programme that the EMBL has.
The problem isn't applying, the problem is talking to my
supervisors about it. I am going to need help with working towards
getting accepted, and I also need two referees that can recommend me.
I do believe they would, but there is still this sneaking fear
of them saying that they won't. The reason for
this fear lies mainly in that I haven't been the fastest-working
student ever. My father died just as I was starting out, and
I have also been doing Teacher Assistant work, so it looks like
I'll be spending 2.5 yrs on my masters instead of the 1.5 that
it should take. I know that this is a stupid way of thinking,
but I still can't get rid of that sneaking thought that I won't
cut it. Do any of you have any advice on how to deal with my
own fear, and also maybe a strategy for how to approach my
supervisors about my PhD plans?

Karin Lagesen, karin at

"Gott weiss ich will kein Engel sein"
			Rammstein, Sehnsucht, Engel.