Biological litterature written by women

C. J. Fuller cjfuller at
Thu Mar 1 18:17:01 EST 2001

In article <97ljrg$doo$1 at>, "Gerd" <gerdn at> wrote:

>I am helping some students writing a paper about famous scientists. The list
>of suggested people contained no single woman. Is there somewere in the
>world a list over: breakthrough experiments done by women, Biological
>litterature written by women, or any other possible text that would be
>helpfull for showing that women have been living on this planet, and are
>doing biological science.

Gerd-I found a book many years ago about Barbara McClintock called "A
Feeling for the Organism", by Evelyn Fox Keller.  McClintock was a plant
geneticist who discovered that genes could rearrange themselves within
chromosomes, the so-called "jumping genes".  This was heresy when she
first proposed it, but others eventually confirmed her experiments and she
won the Nobel Prize for Medicine/Physiology in 1983.  Also, look up
Gertrude Elion and Rosalind Yalow on the web.  Both of these women were
Nobel Prize winners-Yalow in 1977 for development of the radioimmunoassay,
and Elion in 1988 or so.

C.J. Fuller
<mailto:cjfuller at>
<mailto:cjfuller at>