The Story

SLF notmyaddress at hotmail.com
Fri May 11 12:34:46 EST 2001

Generally, I think that the historical presentation of results is not
the preferable one.  rarely indeed is the logic of a project  apparent
at the beginning.  What we do is wander around in an indirect way,
eventually getting the "a-ha!"  that allows us to slot these various
pieces of data together in a cohesive story.

The story we are telling in research paperes is not an historical one,
but a logical one. Therefore, I generally feel that the best way to tell
it is not as slaves to temporal order, but slaves to logic.  Inevitably,
some experiments are linked to others historically ("we got this result
so we had to check for that"), but many are not.  IMHO they should go
where they fit the argument best.  For example, it's often easiest to
group the genetic experiments together, and the biochemical experiments
together, even if you actually did them simultaneously.

But establishing the logical flow is itself subject to substantial
argument, as one person's  may not match another's.

--
-susan

Women in Biology Internet Launch Page
"These are my opinions.  I don't have