back to academia - teaching advice

s.dippel at germanynet.de s.dippel at germanynet.de
Tue Nov 13 04:51:21 EST 2001

Hi there,

finally I am getting around to updating those here who know me
on some changes ahead, and to asking advice from everyone in
this group.
As those sticking around this group for a long time know,
I am a physicist and started to work in industrial research
after my PhD nearly four years ago. Now I am heading back to
academia, to a job as associate professor at a so-called
"Fachhochschule", which is sort of equivalent to a four-year
engineering college (with the main difference that one semester
has to be spent in an industry internship by the students).
For those not familiar with the german system - it is actually
a requirement to have worked in industry for at least three
years to get this kind of job. In fact, when taking my job
in industry, I always considered a professorship at this
kind of institution as an option for my professional future.

So much for the update - now for the question. The job
involves a high teaching load and I will have very little
permanent staff (2 profs share approximately one person) and
no graduate students. Still, I would like to do at least a
little research (the possibility to apply for grants is
there, plus a reduction in teaching hours in the case of
success).
So my question goes to those working in purely undergraduate
institutions - do you manage to get some research done, just
with undergraduate projects etc.? Is it wise first to concentrate
on preparing your classes so well that when you teach them
again in a year or two, the effort will be much smaller so that
some time will be left for organizing your research? (Quickly
bringing in grant money etc. is not an issue in the sense of
affecting a tenure review, I will have tenure from the start.)

Generally, do you have any advice on what pitfalls to avoid
when teaching a real class for the first time (I have TAed quite
a bit, but never taught a full class), in terms of organisation
etc.?

Well I hope that this is enough material for the moment to get some
traffic again in this newsgroup, even though November/December
are usually awfully busy months for everyone.

Regards,
Sabine

--
Please ignore any ads following this - they are put
in by my provider. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Sparalarm bei Zooplus! 10% auf alle Bestellungen!
http://www.arcor.de/home/redir.php/zoorabatt