job opportunities in Oxford (UK)

Helen White-Cooper helen.white-cooper at zoology.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Jan 11 05:38:30 EST 2002

Dear Colleagues

We recently described a novel pest population control strategy using
transgenic insects (RIDL, see Thomas et al., Science 2000
287:2474-2476).
I'm looking for a post-doc and a graduate research assistant to help
move
our method into insects of medical and agricultural significance, rather

than just Drosophila which we used for the initial demonstration.
Considerable further development of the system in Drosophila will also
be
involved.  I have a new BBSRC grant, funding a post-doc and a graduate
research assistant (both for 3 years) in this area.  I'm really looking
for
a molecular biologist for the postdoc position, with experience in at
least
some of: plasmid construction, PCR, DNA sequencing, library screening,
subtractive hybridisation.  Alternatively, someone with transgenic
insect
experience would also be excellent.  The experience of the graduate is
not
so important, but they will have to do quite a bit of Drosophila
genetics
and also some molecular biology.  As the project progresses this will
(hopefully) change to pest insect transgenics and genetics.  This can
all be
taught, but prior experience would be nice, of course.  It may be
possible
for the graduate research assistant to register for a higher degree.

We are also forming a spin-out company to develop the RIDL technology
for
particular pest insects.  The company is also about to start recruiting,

essentially looking for the same sort of skills, at post-doc and
graduate
level, also technicians of various grades.  So if you are interested, or

know anyone good who might be interested, please ask them to get in
touch
with me right away about either the academic or company jobs.

Many thanks,
Luke

Luke Alphey is at the
Dept of Zoology, Oxford University, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PS, UK

Tel/fax: +44-(0)1865-271157
Email: luke.alphey at zoo.ox.ac.uk