men and wives

patricia bowne pbowne at execpc.com
Sun Mar 3 05:08:48 EST 2002

Warren Gallin wrote:

>         1) I don't think that working long hours and sacrificing other
> interests to doing research is a particularly gender-specific behavior.
>
>         2) Some people love doing the day and night work, and would be most
> unhappy if they were forced to leave the lab after 40 hours of work each
> week.  They are working 80 hours a week because they are consumed by
> their work, not because their employer is requiring it of them.  So from
> their point of view this is not a "race to the bottom", it is an
> opportunity to what they want, as much as they want.

There are all sorts of things that some people love, but that still
shouldn't be viewed as a societal norm. When conditions that only appeal
to a small minority are imposed on everyone, it is a race to the bottom
in my opinion. The way to fix it is to legally define the norm and then
pay those who exceed it more money -- as in overtime. What we have now
in academic research is the equivalent of mandatory overtime, and it's
driving women out of the field.

 Here's a potential equivalent; where I work, many of the faculty are
nuns. Should the college change its pay scale, since it could get their
(excellent) work for much less than it would have to pay a lay faculty
member? Would that be a race to the bottom, if the nuns were happy to do
it? The college has taken the position that it must pay the same amount
to lay and religious faculty. Isn't that unfair the the religious, who
might otherwise gain an advantage from their willingness to work for
less?

Pat