grad school

Fisher, Roxanne RFisher at Chatham.edu
Fri Nov 22 04:19:45 EST 2002

Dear L:

I think you should at least seriously consider getting a PhD if the thought
of returning to school  keeps coming back to you.  My test for things like
this is:  would I be  bitter old woman if I didn't try to do it or would I
always wonder what would ahve happened if I didn't try it.

You might want to consider other career paths such as getting a law degree
or MBA- they would lead to more money and stability, but if that's not where
your interests lie, that's just not for you.

You will be giving up stability and income, but if you are increasingly
frustrated as a tech stability might seem like a bad path.

I would examine potential grad programs and advisors carefully.  Some are
more welcoming than others to non-traditional age students and students with
families.  My PhD program at University of Maryland was full of people who
had children.  Most of the students who ad children (both from the US and
international students) lived in the graduate student apartments where there
was a real sense of community.  The kids had play mates from all over the
world.    I started graduate school when I was 28 and I was on the younger
side for my department.  I have a friend who started when she was 42 or so
and she ahs finished, and is doing a great post-doc.  On the other hand, the
department in which I did my post-doc had almost all students right out of
college who were single.

Advisors will ahve different attitudes toward age and family too and thus
need to be chosen carefully.  Some advisors expect you to be in the alb from
sun-up to sun-down and other just want to see good progress and face time
isn't as important.  It's sometimes difficult to find out about these issues
so you should look for a department that contains several faculty members
whose work interests you.

That said, you do bring lots useful skills to a potential graduate school
lab.  You probably already know lots of techniques from your various jobs,
you know how to handle data, how to write up data, how to motivate yourself,
how to troubleshoot a problem, how to deal with salespeople and ordering,
how to organize a lab, etc.  so even though you wont' be putting in 16 hour
days in the lab (probably) you also won't spend hours web surfing or
chatting with your buddies over coffee or stewing about problems with other
grad students or your roommates.

I think it's worth a closer look.  Yes, you will make your children move,
but if they ahve a happier, more fulfilled mother that's good, and they will
probably meet kids from all over and see many places they would never see if
you remained rooted in one place.  Just think- even if you started a job at
45 you have twenty to twenty five years in that job!  To me, that's a long
time!

I think if you are interested in a smaller university or college setting one
post-doc should be enough, at least that's my experience on the college job
market and the experience of most people I know.  Also, when I was
interviewing for jobs it was obvious that lots of faculty at colleges either
had kids or a strong outside interest.

Roxanne

**
Roxanne H. Fisher                                  rfisher at chatham.edu
Assistant Professor of Biology                  phone (412)365-1893
Chatham College                                     fax (412)365-1505
Woodland Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15232