Careers in Biology

Amanda Butler amanda.butler at hci.utah.edu
Thu Feb 27 11:28:02 EST 2003

Greetings,
I graduated with a B.S. degree in Biology in August of 2002.  Since then I have been working as a technician in a university research lab.  Originally, my career plan was to earn a Ph.D in molecular biology, and then do research and maybe some teaching.  However, after a few months of working in a research setting and talking to lab directors, postdocs, graduate students, etc., I'm beginning to wonder if that would really be the right career choice for me.
I would like to benefit from the experience of those in this group and find out what other options are available to me.  While being a technician is enjoyable for now, it's not something I'd like to do for the rest of my life.  I enjoy lab work, and my favorite topics in biology are genetics and gene expression, oncological science, and anything else that fits into the wide category of molecular biology.  I'd love to hear about what kinds of careers people in this group are pursuing, and what kind of educational background those careers require.
Thank you,
Amanda Butler