Careers in Biology

Pamela Norton pamela.norton at mail.tju.edu
Wed Mar 5 06:54:29 EST 2003

In article <F062093E456F8C4A9566C5CA59726C6E2D368C at EMAIL.hci.utah.edu>,
Amanda Butler <amanda.butler at hci.utah.edu> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I graduated with a B.S. degree in Biology in August of 2002.  Since then I
> have been working as a technician in a university research lab.  Originally,
> my career plan was to earn a Ph.D in molecular biology, and then do research
> and maybe some teaching.  However, after a few months of working in a
> research setting and talking to lab directors, postdocs, graduate students,
> etc., I'm beginning to wonder if that would really be the right career choice
> for me.
>
> I would like to benefit from the experience of those in this group and find
> out what other options are available to me.  While being a technician is
> enjoyable for now, it's not something I'd like to do for the rest of my life.
> I enjoy lab work, and my favorite topics in biology are genetics and gene
> expression, oncological science, and anything else that fits into the wide
> category of molecular biology.  I'd love to hear about what kinds of careers
> people in this group are pursuing, and what kind of educational background
> those careers require.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Amanda Butler

Since she hasn't replied, I will direct you to Susan Forsburg's
excellent web site for Women in Biology:

Of course, the questions you are asking are not gender specific, but
_plenty_ of good career advice is available there. Kudos to Susan for
providing the resource.

Good luck,

Pam Norton