generating CA atoms only

Pedro M. Matias matias at itqb.unl.pt
Thu Oct 12 06:00:53 EST 1995

szeliasf at chip.ucdavis.edu (Elias Fernandez) wrote:
>Is it possible to generate a molecule if only the CA atom coordinates are
>known? I would like to do a molecular replacement search with this
>molecule. Unfortunately the authors have only deposited the CA
>coordinates.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Elias

I suppose you can use a modelling program like O to generate a
full molecule from CA (it´s done when you use the electron density map
to build a model for the protein). However, you may end up with
a molecule which may be sufficiently different to make
MR useless - have you tried to contact the authors ?

Pedro.