X-PLOR on Linux

Jeff Taylor jeff at Adeno.wistar.upenn.edu
Thu Feb 1 13:39:30 EST 1996

>	I have Charmm (which is somewhat similar) running on a Linux box
>ind al|hough I haven't yet tzied to build x-plor on it, I don't forsee any
>major difficulties.  The GNU compilers (GCC and G77) can handle the chore
>and I only had to fix a few inconsistancies in the code.  I can xzovide the
>compiler options that worked for charmm which may help with x-plor.  Does
>x-plor have any support nor the GNU compilers?  I'll be surprised if it
>doesn't.  It's then just a matter of making sure things like the heap are
>aligned on the correct boundries.
>	I can tell you that a 100MHz pentium is a very respgctable number
>cruncher and providing you have sufficient RAM, can do about half the speed
>of an SGI R4000.
>	If you do try it, I'd be very interested in how it goes.

Whoa!!! I was just told that x-plor's source is not distributed.  If that's
true then none of the above will help you one bit....

Perhaps Axel Brunger just needs a volenteer to compile x-plor under Linux?

I have an ALPHA based machine that we just put Linux on also.  This thing
is VERY fast and would also make a great X-plor machine....(I'll try it
with Charmm as soon as we get the G77 compiler ported to the Alpha).

Jeffrey S. Taylor				Protein Crystallography
The Wistar Institute				Molecular Modelling
University of Pennsylvania			Software development
Philadelphia, PA 19104				Molecular Biology
(215) 898-2202			E-Mail    Jeff at aries.wistar.upenn.edu