SGI IRIX 5.3 or 6.2 best for xtallography software?

Geoff Barton gjb at bioch.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 26 06:35:49 EST 1996

Thomas Earnest wrote:

> having successfully installed CCP4, X-PLOR, RAVE, O, HKL,
> and others on a R8000 running IRIX 6.1, i do not see any problems.
>
> IRIX 6.2 will be the cross-platform version of IRIX, and SGI assures me
> that everything which runs on 5.x and 6.1 will run on 6.2 on the R10000
> (i will soon test this).
>
> thus i would say you made a good choice with the R10000 and IRIX6.2

Yes.  Go for 6.2.  I guess SGI will drop support for 5.3 in a year or
two.

The only possible problem you might have is when recompiling under
6.2 with the -mips4 flag.  This assumes 64 bit pointers and
arithmetic and on some codes this can cause problems.  I'm not
sure how serious this is with Fortran, but we have seen problems
with C codes.  compiling with -mips4 -n32 or -mips3 usually cures this.
These options (as I understand it) give you the 64bit fp operations,
but keep 32 bit pointers.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey J. Barton, Laboratory of Molecular Biophysics, University of
Oxford,