Shipping of frozen crystals
machius at CHOP.SWMED.EDU
Wed Nov 5 13:39:01 EST 1997
We have some questions about the shipping of crystals to synchrotrons.
We have been shipping crystals stored in liquid nitrogen routinely with
FedEx which is quite expensive. We hear that many people use Dewars where
liquid nitrogen is contained in a sponge as carry-on luggage on flights.
We think about doing so as well and would like to ask you to share your
- What models of "dry" Dewars do you use and how do they perform overall ?
- Did you experience problems with airlines (US and international
- Do the Dewars fit under the seat or can they be stored tipped over in
the overhead bin, or do you even check them as regular luggage ?
- If checked as regular luggage, are they rugged enough to survive the
rough handling (do you use a duffle bag) ?
- How long do they really stay cold ?
- Is the capacity sufficient (how many 2 mL vials do really fit in a
We would very much appreciate your help in this matter. Thanks a million
People from the Structural Biology Group at UT Southwestern, Dallas.
More information about the X-plor