AutoDep 2 To Be Released

Nancy O. Manning oeder at PDB.PDB.BNL.GOV
Fri Oct 17 18:13:43 EST 1997

The PDB is pleased to announce the release of AutoDep version 2.0, expected
for October 22.  This is an improved version of our Web-based submission
procedure, with many new features and extended validation added.

The new features of AutoDep 2.0 include:

     * A Control Panel allows faster navigation.

     * Sending files is much easier through the use of a Web form with a
     file browser for selecting and uploading files to the PDB.

     * Improved helps.

     * Non-standard space groups are handled properly.

     * After the submission is complete, PDB validates the entry by running
     our internal validation programs as well as the WHAT IF program of R.
     Hooft and C. Sander, as implemented in collaboration with the PDB
     (http://www.sander.embl-heidelberg.de/rob/checkhelp/).  The author
     reviews these diagnostics before completing the submission.

All new submissions will use AutoDep 2.0.  However, submissions already
begun with AutoDep 1 will be completed with the earlier interface.  This
will be handled automatically by the program just by continuing an AutoDep
session of a BNL-number and password initiated in AutoDep 1.  If you prefer
to try AutoDep 2.0 instead, use the "Based on a previous submission"
function to start a new session based on the uncompleted AutoDep 1
session.  After two months, all submissions will be directed to AutoDep
2.0.

We wish to acknowledge the valuable contribution to this effort made by our
beta testers, our collaborators at EBI, Kim Hendrick and Peter Keller, our
collaborators at the BioMagResBank (BMRB), John Markley and Eldon Ulrich,
and the many users of AutoDep 1 who have taken the time to send us their
suggestions and bug reports.

In addition, I need to point out for those unable to access AutoDep, that
the PDB will no longer be accepting any PDB Deposition Form older than
version 3.30.  After November 1, 1997, submissions received on earlier
versions of the Deposition Form will be returned to the author, along with
the latest Deposition Form, for resubmission.  Also, those submissions
that come in the form of a PDB entry accompanied by a minimally-completed
PDB Deposition Form will be put through a syntax checking program.  If the
entry fails this check, it will be returned to the author along with
instructions needed to make it into an acceptable entry before we can
issue an ID code.

If you have any questions about this new policy or on AutoDep, please
contact the PDB Help Desk at pdbhelp at bnl.gov or 516-344-6356 and we will be
happy to help you.

 Nancy Oeder Manning                  Protein Data Bank
 Head User Support                    Brookhaven National Laboratory
 oeder at bnl.gov                        Biology Department, Bldg. 463
 (516) 344-5744 phone                 P.O. Box 5000
 (516) 344-5751 FAX                   Upton, NY 11973-5000   USA