A Course at Brookhaven Lab on Data Collection and Structure Solving

Robert Sweet sweet at lsx12n.nsls.bnl.gov
Wed Jan 3 14:59:28 EST 2001

We invite applicants for our annual course on rapid data collection and
structure solving.  The full announcement and application materials are
available here: http://www.x12c.nsls.bnl.gov/rr_course_2001/

The course will be held 22-25 April at Brookhaven's NSLS and Biology
Department.  The application deadline is 14 February.

Synchrotron radiation has become an indispensable tool for many
macromolecular crystallography groups. Synchrotron beam time is such a
scarce commodity that it pays for some workers to enhance their skills by
participating in an intensive hands-on training program.

To provide such an educational experience, we have designed a course in
Rapid Data Collection and Structure Solving. It will be sponsored in part
by a grant from the National Center for Research Resources of the National
Institutes of Health. In this course we will develop the ideas behind
conventional methods for diffraction data collection, will emphasize
aspects unique to the synchrotron experience (MAD phasing, rapid structure
solving), and will give students practical experience in work on their own
specimens.

The course should accommodate 48 students total: 24 students, each with an
experimental problem to be solved, and 24 who will gain equivalent
experience as observers and helpers.  Students will be divided into 12
sections.  Each section will be comprised of two students with crystals
and two without.  Each section will get a total of about 30 hours on a
beamline.  The "observers" will have a period of several hours to practice
on sample specimens they will have mounted themselves.

           "Reply" may fail.  Better to use the address below
	Robert M. Sweet			E-Dress: sweet at bnl.gov (that's L
	Biology Dept.			Phones:                    not 1)
	Brookhaven Nat'l Lab.	*New*	631 344 3401  (Office)
	Upton, NY  11973	Area	631 344 5642  (Beamline at NSLS)
	U.S.A.			Code	631 344 3407  (Facsimile)