[X-plor] The BNL-Biology and NSLS Course on Synchrotron Data Collection: Please Apply

Robert Sweet via x-plor%40net.bio.net (by rsweet from bnl.gov)
Wed Dec 17 14:20:05 EST 2008

We are offering RapiData 2009, the eleventh offering of our popular
course:

   Rapid Data Collection and Structure Solving at the NSLS: A Practical
          Course in Macromolecular X-Ray Diffraction Measurement

The course will be held 19-24 April 2009.  Students could be at any level
from advanced undergraduate to full professor.  48 students will be
accepted; 24 will bring their own specimens for data collection.  Please
read the course description at http://www.px.nsls.bnl.gov/RapiData2009/.
You'll see that many experts in the field will be available for lectures
and tutorials, and you'll find the application materials at this site.

For the seventh time we will hold a short lecture course on the
fundamentals of crystallography for roughly five hours on Sunday 19 April.
The body of the RapiData course really requires that students have a
healthy knowledge of crystallography.  For potential students who have
some experience but are shaky about fundamentals, this course will help.
There will be a small additional fee for the fundamentals course, to pay
for Saturday night accomodations and food on Sunday morning and noon.

Latin American Scientists: Several scholarships are available, from the
International Union of Crystallography, to pay partial travel and subsistence
costs for Latin-American students and junior faculty.  Please apply for the
course, and then contact R. Sweet (sweet from bnl.gov) if you are interested in
applying for a scholarship.  In accordance with the standards of the
International Union of Crystallography, we observe the basic policy of
non-discrimination, affirming the right and freedom of scientists to associate
in international scientific activity without regard to such factors as
citizenship, religion, creed, political stance, ethnic origin, race, colour,
language, age, or gender, in accordance with the Statutes of the International
Council for Science.  At this course no barriers will exist beyond the
application procedure that would prevent the participation of bona fide
scientists.

Please apply or send your students to our course,

Alex Soares, Sal Sclafani, and Bob Sweet

         Robert M. Sweet                 E-Dress: sweet from bnl.gov
         Group Leader, PXRR: Macromolecular               ^ (that's L
           Crystallography Research Resource at NSLS            not 1)
           http://px.nsls.bnl.gov/
         Biology Dept
         Brookhaven Nat'l Lab.           Phones:
         Upton, NY  11973                631 344 3401  (Office)
         U.S.A.                          631 344 2741  (Facsimile)