Nomarski bumps

Kevin Morano ez005528 at ucdavis.edu
Mon Aug 2 15:45:48 EST 1993

Hi! I am doing some microscopy work on vacuoles, using Nomarski optics,
and have noticed at 100X that there are frequently smallish "bumps" around
the vacuole periphery but within the cell envelope. They are usually 5-15
in number and sometimes seem to "move" - probably artifactual but fun to
watch. What are these things? Might they be mitochondrial projections into
the plane of focus? Give me your sage advice...